Friday, 3 December 2010

Snow from Siberia

Taking this moment of rare calm to send you a quick blog. I’m on a train to Newcastle for work. The snow here has been horrendous. It was a bit touch and go as to whether we would be able to depart this morning, but here we are.  The trains are running reduced services and taking much longer than normal. Our train left at 9am this morning and normally, to get to Newcastle, it takes a bit over three hours. Well, we were expected to arrive at 1pm, and it's now 1.20pm and I think we are at least an hour away from arrival...

Part of this is because we got stuck just outside of York for about half an hour. Apparently it was so cold that there was too little oxygen in the air to allow the brakes to function properly. Not hard to believe when you look on BBC weather and see the temperature outside is around six degrees. Oh sorry, that's minus six degrees. Don't worry though, when I get to Newcastle it's expected to be a balmy two degrees, yes, once again that's a minus two degrees.

Anyway all this chilly weather has meant the snow has stuck around and the trip up here has been stunning. It is completely white everywhere the eye can see. 

 

I was planning on going from Newcastle to York tomorrow, to visit friends in Pocklington. However, the weather has meant that I have had to change my plans and I will be coming straight back to London. A bit disappointing, as I'm sure the Yorkshire wolds look beautiful with all this snow, but given how much trouble I'm having getting up to Newcastle, I think I have made the right choice!

Bring on a white Christmas!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Louise
    Sharon suggested that I check on what you are all doing over Christms but you are obviously too busy to post a blog.
    Hope you all had a lovely Christmas and are surviving all the weather.
    In Queensland, we feel as if we are in Auckland - we haven't seen the sun for weeks and it never stops raining.
    Love to all
    Trudy and Tony

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi
    You might just want to do a bit of a grammar check, got a few words wrong, but otherwise very good. Looking forward to those photos

    ReplyDelete